Saturday, September 18, 2010

San Jose to Boston



I spent the whole day cleaning and getting rid of stuff and moving things into storage.  My flight was scheduled to leave San Jose airport at 8:50 PM so I was planning to leave my house by 3 PM to make it there with plenty of time.  Well I didn't leave till 4 and I didn't even have time to put seat-belts into my old truck.

DEPARTURE
San Jose, CA, US(SJC)
Monday, September 13
Scheduled
08:50 PM

ARRIVAL
Boston(BOS)
Tuesday, September 14
Scheduled
05:20 AM
This is me at the San Jose airport.  Iphone 4 playin' tunes of course.  The phone really comes in handy as a GPS and even helps with public transportation!  I barely slept on the flight and no blankets or pillow $7 for that! But they gave us earplugs and masks and floss..... I have never received that on any other overnight flight.

At the AirPort I saw a really handsome guy with an ok girl... and thought to myself... really? wow.. after all that work sculpting ur body ur dating a girl that I could get?  And then of course the universe manifests itself and Mr. Butt-Ugly shows up for a flight with Ms. Drop-Dead-gorgeous on his arm... and what can we learn from this?  Image is nothing... thirst is everything ... drink sprite!  No but really.. how does this happen... and I'm stuck in the middle... I want to be like guy number one.. but situations like this encourage me to just let myself go!

So I get to Boston and that's when the gravity of this whole trip sets in.  I'm cold, I'm tired, My pack weighs 50 lbs., I have no place to sleep, and I don't even know what sights I am going to see!  Lucas planned our first trip and I spent some real time planning the New York trip so I wouldn't let the boss man down... but this trip I took no thought as to where I was going or what I was doing.  I sat at the airport just thinking to myself, what have I got myself into.  I wish I was at home right now.  I seriously just gave up a warm bed in a familiar place for possibly a nice piece of concrete and my sleeping bag.  The bag wouldn't have weighed nearly as much but I overpacked and the electronics I brought are kinda heavy. :)  I sat there and felt sorry for myself for a minute and then it clicked... stand up... go outside and do something... you're in freakin' BAWSTON!  So I did! 






Bus 55 to the Metro.  Blue line into town... and off at city center where I found the middle of "the freedom trail" It's a red line that runs through boston and guides you to all the historic places.  Sometimes it is paint and sometimes it is brick.... anyway.. it's awesome... I think every city should have lines like this... totally helps find the good touristy stuff!

So boston is amazing, so much has happened there as far as the history of our country is concerned.  But I'm not here to give you a history lesson... read a book.  But I went to Paul Revere's house, saw where the Boston Massacre was, sat in the senate building and house of reps.  Ate clam chowder, saw the Atlantic ocean, went to cheers (and now they know my name... and yes they're glad I came), fed squirrels peanut butter m&ms,  and I found myself a really nice piece of concrete to sleep on.... luckily I didn't have to use it!  All because of Herbie.



So my buddy Trevor served his mission in Boston.  He told me a lot of the things to do, like follow the freedom trail.  But he also asked me to go by and see Herbie Kimball.  Turns out Herbie lives in a retirement tower so I went to visit him.  He reluctantly buzzed me in and when I got to his door I told him that Trevor had sent me just to "say hi".  "Tricky Trevor sent you?  We'll you picked the wrong name to drop buddy cause I hate that selfish conniving guy."  That made me laugh, he interrogated me at the door and then finally let me in to talk.  After awhile he found out I had no place to stay and insisted that I stay there that night and then the next.  He ended up buying me dunkin donuts both mornings for breakfast and he had a fridge fully stocked with soda and brownies etc.... pretty sweet find... and best of all it was free!  So we're watching TV and he says "wanna see cheepadee?"  I said "what is cheepadee?"  turns out he wanted to watch jeopardy!  After jeopardy we watched southpark!  Can you believe this guy.... I was like.. herbie do you know what you are watching?  And he told me he loves south park.. haha.  So southpark was about Peruvian flute bands saving the world... so I know what you're thinking.... leave this out of ur blog it's dumb! But it's not cause I ran into a peruvian flute band in downtown Boston!!! it made me laugh thinking about the night before watching southpark with good old Herbie.  So he opened up to me alot and told me he didn't like Trevor because he felt like he forgot about him.  But I'll be honest with you... I told Herbie a lot of nice things "from Trevor" and when I left he told me to tell Trevor that "all is forgiven!"  So I left bridges burning in California... but I'm building or rebuilding bridges on the east coast.









1 comment: